Hi, I’m Sam! I’m a writer, editor, content strategist, meme maker, and all around internet fan girl.
After graduating college, I started a blog called Forever Twenty Somethings. At first, I wrote about literal nonsense, but somehow it grew into an online magazine with 80+ contributors and, at its peak, millions of pageviews each month. The website led me to pursue a career in media, and it also helped me to publish my first book, Average is the New Awesome: A Manifesto for the Rest of Us.
After getting a book deal and “aging” into my 30s, Forever Twenty Somethings and I grew apart. I still run the website’s Instagram account, which I rebranded as @averagepeopleproblems in 2020. I post relatable (or what I hope are relatable!!!) tweets and memes to the account, many of which have been liked and shared by celebrities like Sarah Hyland and Ellen Degeneres and popular media companies such as Betches.
I also work full-time! Currently, I’m helping publishers make money through product recommendations (yes, I merged my love of shopping with online publishing to create a dream career), and I still write. My work can be seen on Parents, USA TODAY, Women’s Health, HuffPost, Cosmopolitan, Reviewed, Seventeen, Good Housekeeping, and more. I’m represented by Erin Niumata at Folio Literary.
I’m not just a writer, even if that’s what I say I do for fun lol.
I’m really just a 30-something mom who loves doing nothing on the couch. I also enjoy occasionally leaving the couch to hang out with friends and family, but if we’re being serious here, I also sometime don’t! Old age will get you. (I’m also usually in the middle of 5-6 scripted TV shows, but that is neither here nor there.)
I grew up in Canton, MA, a suburb outside of Boston, and graduated from Ithaca College in 2010 with a degree in television production and a minor in writing. After over 10 years of living in Boston and running around the city like a crazy drunken idiot with 20-30 friends, I now live in the suburbs of Boston with my husband and baby daughter. I no longer run around like a crazy drunken idiot, nor do I have that many friends. Like I said, I’m on the couch alone! I’m kidding. But also not. Help.
Some fun facts:
- I had a brief obsession with llamas in the 7th grade that turned into a weird life long “thing.”
- I also enjoy giraffes and met one for my bachelorette party (please refer to the picture as evidence).
- The first things I wrote “professionally” were Entourage recaps for some random entertainment website.
- I also recapped Pretty Little Liars for the entirety of the 7 seasons it was on because it was ~my favorite show~ even though I was an adult and it was about high schoolers.
- I was once featured in Boston Magazine as one of the most social people in Boston, which everyone I know laughed at because I am absolutely not the most social person.
- My favorite thing to do is get a venti iced coffee from Starbucks, drink half of it, and then go out to get another iced coffee in the afternoon because it melted.
- I spend most weekends returning everything that I bought online during the week.
- I’ve taken nearly 1,000 Pure Barre classes. This sounds really legit except when you find out I started going in 2014.
- I have one ovary.
- I used to carry around a bottle of Captain Morgan when I went out in college. Now, I drink one glass of wine and am hungover for 3-5 business days.
- I love potatoes. I used to say “I love french fries,” but I’ve come to realize that I just really love potatoes.
- I was so obsessed with The OC in high school that I put “Seth Cohen <3” in my AIM profile.